Rust on the surface of the toilet is due to the ability of water to dissolve and carry particles.
Iron impurities obtained from the soil, corrosion products from the walls of non-galvanized pipes travel along with the liquid. As a result, rusty streaks appear on an impeccably clean surface of plumbing.
Another reason is a tank malfunction and its leakage. Fight inorganic pollution immediately, using the experience of professionals and housewives.
How to clean the toilet of rust at home, get rid of urinary stones and limescale, we will tell you in the article.
- Folk remedies for cleaning rusty streaks
- Industrial production assistants
- How can you wipe the inside of the tank at home?
- Preventive measures
- Professional advice
Folk remedies for cleaning rusty streaks
To clean rust from the toilet bowl, you do not have to buy expensive industrial chemicals. The funds that are found in every home will give a positive result without hitting the family budget.
Read about the use of folk remedies to get rid of rust on the toilet in this article.
How to remove rust with baking soda and vinegar?
The ingredients found in every kitchen are versatile. They are often used for cleaning various surfaces due to their properties:
- soda (alkali) - an effective bleach that absorbs odors;
- vinegar (acid) - destroys limescale, removes rust, various deposits, neutralizes unpleasant odors, disinfects.
Step by step instructions for use:
- Sprinkle a thick layer of baking soda over the toilet bowl.
- Treat areas with increased contamination with a moistened sponge.
- Leave on for 30-40 minutes.
- Pour vinegar (100 g) into a spray bottle and spray on the surface covered with soda.
- As soon as the reaction starts (profuse foaming with hissing), clean the toilet bowl with a brush.
Vinegar and soda will not only quickly remove rust, they will return the whiteness of the faience surface and disinfect it.
How to get rid of streaks with ammonia and hydrogen peroxide?
Inexpensive components can be purchased at every pharmacy. For cleaning you need:
- prepare a solution of ammonia and peroxide in a ratio of 1 to 20;
- moisten a sponge in the resulting liquid, treat areas with rust;
- leave for several hours;
- clean the bowl with a brush;
- wash off with water.
For deep cleaning, it is better to apply the solution overnight.
How to wash with Whiteness?
The liquid, which contains chlorine and alkali, easily removes rust, plaque, disinfects the surface of the toilet bowl, but is fundamentally not suitable for the cistern.
How to use:
- Remove water from the toilet, the surface must be dry.
- Using a spray bottle, spray the product onto the toilet bowl, paying attention to hard-to-reach areas.
- Close the toilet lid, wait 20 minutes.
- Brush the surface.
- Flush water several times.
Chlorine vapors are harmful to the respiratory tract. A respirator and good ventilation of the room will help to avoid harmful effects.
How to clean with a corrosion neutralizer?
A budget tool that is sold in stores of household goods or paints and varnishes. The main component is phosphoric acid, which easily removes rust, plaque and other types of contamination.
Instructions for use:
- pour liquid into a spray bottle;
- spray on the toilet bowl, leave for 5 minutes;
- treat the surface with a brush;
- rinse with plenty of water.
How to remove traces of Coca-Cola?
An effective way to combat metal corrosion products is a popular drink. It is enough to pour 1-1.5 liters of liquid into the toilet and the tank for 1 hour, flush the water several times. There will be no trace of rust. A sachet of citric acid will help to enhance the effectiveness of the product.
Industrial production assistants
Toilet bowl cleaners are available in the form of solutions, powders or gels. The latter category is considered the most convenient due to its thick consistency and a special bottle shape. It allows you to clean up dirt in hard-to-reach places.
All products have almost the same composition, the effect of surfactants enhances the presence of:
- acid that removes rust;
- alkali that breaks down organic pollution, fat;
- chlorine, which has antimicrobial effect and the ability to neutralize odors.
The choice depends on the preferences of the hostess, the characteristics of the surfaces and the types of dirt. Read more about industrial toilet cleaners from rust. here.
Caustic soda (alkali) well removes all types of dirt... Cleaning is effortless and effortless.
It is recommended to use:
- Domestos - a gel that removes rust on the surface of the toilet in 10 minutes, refreshes and disinfects. For stubborn stains, it is recommended to leave the product on overnight. Price from 180 to 240 rubles per 1 liter.
- Lime Professional - toilet whitening gel, removes all types of dirt, odors and microorganisms. Price from 120 to 180 rubles per 1 liter.
- Chistin 3 in 1 for plumbing - an inexpensive gel for cleaning and disinfecting ceramics, effective in combating corrosion products, and has antibacterial properties. Price from 70 to 130 rubles for 750 gr.
This category includes powders, pastes, suspensions that contain grinding particles and remove dirt by mechanical action. Suitable for cleaning toilets:
- Pemolux Soda - cleaning powder for anti-pollution with a refreshing effect. Price from 40 to 60 rubles for 480 gr.
- Chistin lemon - universal powder for cleaning surfaces with a refreshing scent. Price from 35 to 60 rubles for 400 gr.
- Comet - powder containing chlorine, with an antibacterial effect, removes all types of pollution from the surface of plumbing.Price from 60 to 100 rubles for 475 gr.
Abrasives are slower and more demanding. Another disadvantage is that they can leave microcracks on the surface, in which deposits will accumulate faster.
Household chemicals based on acids give good results, but I need to be careful when working because of their aggressive composition. The most popular are:
- Cillit bang - thick hydrochloric acid gel in a convenient package with a thin spout. It successfully fights any pollution of the toilet bowl thanks to its aggressive composition. Price from 180 to 250 rubles for 750 ml.
- Dressing duck 5 in 1 - a gel containing hydrochloric acid in a convenient bottle with a childproof cap. Removes rust from the surface, disinfects, refreshes. Price from 120 to 200 rubles per 0.5 liter.
- Comet - caustic gel, the main active ingredient sulfuric acid copes with any contamination. Economical and effective, it keeps the result for a long time. Price from 100 to 180 rubles for 450 ml.
How can you wipe the inside of the tank at home?
If a rusty drip appears on the surface of the toilet bowl, it is necessary to urgently clean the tank, otherwise repeated stains cannot be avoided. For this, the above means are suitable, but preference should be given to a less aggressive composition so as not to damage parts made of less resistant materials.
- shut off the water;
- disassemble the tank;
- rinse every part using a special product;
- assemble the structure and drain the water.
The rubber outlet valve, if the correct cleaning agent is selected, may leak water after several cleanings. You can learn more about cleaning a toilet cistern from rust. here.
Rust can be prevented. This requires:
- Check the operation of the tank, if necessary, carry out repair work.
- Use special tablets and cubes 2-3 times a week, which, when dissolved, give the water a pleasant color, smell, disinfect surfaces with each rinsing and destroy plaque.
- Avoid liquid stagnation in the tank, more often use the drain button.
- Install a general water filter to remove iron impurities.
- Replace old pipes if necessary.
- Use a brush regularly to remove organic residues and deposits.
In pursuit of perfect cleanliness, housewives should not forget about their own safety. The aggressive composition of household chemicals requires compliance with the rules:
- before cleaning the toilet, it is necessary to wear rubber gloves to protect the skin of your hands from contact with chemicals and microorganisms;
- use an oilcloth or plastic apron, a respirator to protect clothing and respiratory tract;
- when working with products that have a pungent smell, emit gas or chlorine, it is necessary to ensure the flow of fresh air into the room;
- it is necessary to start by removing water from the tank, for this a bucket with a long handle is suitable - on a dry surface, components that destroy dirt work better;
- if the cleaning solution gets on the skin or mucous membranes, they should be washed immediately.
In the process, do not bend low over the toilet bowl, in order to avoid getting the solution into the face and eyes.
Keeping the toilet clean is an important mission for every housewife, which will preserve the health of the household. For a long service life and whiteness of the toilet, it is necessary to carry out preventive measures, regularly clean the surfaces and the cistern.
When choosing products, avoid the abrasive group, if possible, so as not to create microcracks, in which deposits and microorganisms will settle faster. Use chlorine-containing gels and liquids with care so as not to harm your health.
If the stains are not removed, it is worth considering replacing the plumbing. Perhaps its service life is over.