Rust forms on the surface of any metal. It appears quickly, but it is difficult to get rid of it.
Corrosion not only spoils the appearance of the product, but destroys it. In order to prevent metal rot, it must be dealt with.
Read about how to remove rust from metal at home in the article.
- Why does corrosion form, how is it dangerous?
- How to get rid of?
- What is the best way to clean different surfaces?
- How to unscrew a rusty bolt?
- How to process the microwave?
- Helpful information
Why does corrosion form, how is it dangerous?
Rust is the result of metal oxidation. A chemical reaction is triggered when iron comes into contact with water. The moisture present in the air is sufficient for the appearance of corrosion. The more it is, the more intense this process.
The following factors contribute to its spread:
- Chipped paintwork. Most metal products are treated with paint that protects them from rust. If an area is exposed, corrosion quickly forms on it.
- Scratches and microcracks on the metal. The deeper they are, the more it will be damaged.
- Lack of anti-corrosion treatment. If the product is not protected, it will rust over time.
There are 4 types of corrosion:
- yellow (appears in a humid environment with an oxygen deficiency),
- brown (rare, grows without water),
- black (spreads without water and oxygen, grows slowly),
- red (the most common, arises from the influence of oxygen and water on the metal).
If corrosion damages the parts of mechanisms, they wear out faster and function worse. Rust also spoils the look of any product.
How to get rid of?
There are many methods for dealing with rust. You can get rid of it with:
- folk and shop remedies,
- by electrolysis and mechanical cleaning,
- using a laser.
Popular ways of fighting
Folk remedies for combating corrosion are highly effective and cheap. The most popular recipes on how to remove rust:
- Orthophosphoric acid... It is applied to the surface of the product in the form of a solution, kept for about an hour, and then washed off with water.
- Delete Coca cola... This carbonated drink is a source of phosphoric acid, so it can be used to fight metal oxides.
You must purchase enough Cola to completely immerse the product in it. The holding time is 12 hours, after which it must be taken out, rinsed and dried.
- Lemon acid... To prepare the solution, you need 40-50 g of citric acid and 1 liter of water. The product can be completely immersed in the composition, or only damaged areas can be treated with it. The thicker the rust layer, the more concentrated the solution should be.
- Battery. To combat corrosion, you will need a zinc battery, phosphoric acid, cotton pads, and wires. The battery, wrapped with a cotton pad, is connected with a wire to the "+" of the battery. After that, the battery soaked in acid is pressed against the damaged area.
The positive zinc ions will settle on the metal, creating a protective film on it. After completing the procedure, the body is washed with a soda solution to neutralize the acid.
More popular ways to remove rust - here.
You can get rid of rust by mechanical cleaning. To wipe off rust, use the following tools:
- Wire brushes... Rub off the corrosion by hand. This method is suitable for those surfaces that are covered with a thick layer of rust. Welds are worked out in a similar way.
A lot of dust is generated during the procedure. The method itself is not very efficient; it will not be possible to completely remove corrosion.
- Grinding discs... This is a highly effective method that allows you to clean the surface almost 100%. However, you need to use the tool correctly. With a lack of experience, there is a risk of removing undamaged metal.
- Sandblasting machine... A jet of sand released under high pressure is directed to the damaged area. The method is effective, with its help you can work out hard-to-reach areas that cannot be reached with the help of tools.
- Water jet cleaning... The surface is treated with a water jet using abrasive particles. The main disadvantage of this method is that a special unit is needed to implement it.
- Aluminium foil... This is the easiest and most affordable, but least effective cleaning method. In this case, the rust is removed with a ball formed from ordinary food foil.
- Sandpaper... This inexpensive abrasive can be found at home or in the garage of car owners.
Removal by electrolysis
With the help of electrolysis, you can not only get rid of corrosion, but also restore oxidized iron oxide by converting it into a metal film.
This method has several advantages, including:
- safety for human health;
- lack of toxic fumes;
- electrolysis does not destroy intact metal, acting exclusively on rust.
How to remove rust using electrolysis? Procedure:
- Prepare a solution based on 3 liters of water and 1 teaspoon of soda, pour it into a plastic bowl.
- Submerge the part to be cleaned in the liquid.
- Connect the power by connecting the electrode to the positive conductor (plus on the battery). The electrode can be a steel or stainless steel plate.
- Connect the object to be cleaned to the "minus" of the battery.
- Turn on the power. If everything was done correctly, a reaction will start, bubbles will appear on the parts.
It usually takes about 6 hours to completely remove rust.After the specified time, the battery is disconnected, the part is removed from the solution, rinsed under running water and dried in the sun.
Complete instructions for removing rust by electrolysis - here.
How to remove by heat treatment of iron?
Corroded metal layers can be burned off with an acetylene torch... To do this, the flame is directed to the affected area and held until the rust melts and evaporates. This method is easy to use, but it has certain disadvantages.
First, it can only be used to process unpainted metals. Secondly, high-quality cleaning cannot be carried out. After the completion of the heat treatment, mechanical rust removal or the application of specialized compounds will be required.
How can you quickly eliminate with a laser?
Rust can be removed with a laser. It is one of the most effective and safest ways to combat corrosion.
However, it is not devoid of disadvantages, the main of which is the need to purchase an expensive laser installation. The minimum cost of a portable laser is 120,000 rubles.
The essence of the method: the metal is scanned using a special device, after which a laser beam is directed at it and the damaged area is systematically worked through. Corrosion simply evaporates when exposed to high temperatures.
No additional processing is required. The laser removes only damaged metal without affecting entire areas... Read more about laser cleaning of metal from rust here, about laser cleaners - here.
How to clean with special compounds?
How else can you remove rust and wash metal? To combat rust, you can find specialized formulations on sale. These include:
- Converters and neutralizers... They are chemical solutions that are applied to iron or an iron alloy to prevent further corrosion from spreading. Reacting with the damaged metal, the converter transforms it into a protective film.
It will stay on the surface of the product for some time, preventing moisture and oxygen from destroying it. The stores offer a wide range of converters and neutralizers. The price for them differs depending on the manufacturer and the outlet. The average cost of such formulations is 150 - 200 rubles.
- Paint. To combat corrosion, both conventional oil paints and special ones are used. staining solutions for rust... Classic paint is applied to a previously cleaned surface.
Its main disadvantage is that rust can progress underneath. Therefore, it is better to give preference to special formulations. They can be applied to a thin layer of rust.
Such paints not only prevent its further spread, protect metal from corrosion, but also transform oxides. This is possible thanks to a unique formula consisting of several components.
The average price for 1 kg of paint for rust is 300 rubles, although you can find compositions that cost up to 2,000 rubles.
- Priming. On the market you can find primers that contain additives that modify rust into a protective layer. Primers level the surface, after which paint is immediately applied to it. The average price of a primer enamel is 300 rubles.
What is the best way to clean different surfaces?
How to deal with corrosion on non-metallic surfaces? Depending on the type of surface on which rust has formed, the methods of removing it will differ:
- Tile. To clean it, it is better to use available means, for example, acetic or citric acid. The composition is applied to the matter with which the problem area is treated.
- Coins. A regular coin can be immersed in Cola by pouring it into a glass. After 12 hours, there will be no trace of corrosion.If the coin is rare, then preference is given to laser cleaning or electrolysis.
- Linoleum. You can remove rust from linoleum with acetic acid. The solution must not be made too concentrated, so as not to spoil the floor covering. The maximum processing time is 15 minutes.
- Plastic. You can get rid of rust on plastic with 9% acetic acid. If the stain is deeply ingrained, then the recipe is strengthened with soda.
- Horseshoe. The horseshoe can be soaked in phosphoric acid solution for several hours.
- Tools. The heat treatment method is suitable for processing tools. Calcined iron must be cleaned with a wire brush.
- Skates. Rusted blades are best cleaned mechanically. Thus, it will be possible not only to remove corrosion, but also to undermine the skates.
- clothing. Rusty stains are removed from things with improvised means. Citric acid is preferred. After removing the stain, the clothes are washed. Read about cleaning white clothes here.
- Bath. You can remove rust in the bathroom using household chemicals that contain phosphoric acid. An example of such a tool is Cillit. Another option is to use Coca-Cola.
- Chromium. Chrome plated surfaces should not be rubbed. To get rid of corrosion, use vinegar, citric acid, or rust converters such as WD-40.
- Pan. A cast iron pan can be mechanically cleaned of rust using a wire brush.
- Trumpet. If corrosion appears on the surface of the product, then they resort to mechanical cleaning. When it is inside the pipe, liquid acid-containing compositions or converters are used.
- Knife. The best solution in this case will be sandpaper.
- Cast iron. This metal can be cleaned with baking soda, salt, acetic acid, or sandpaper. He is not afraid of contact with acids and harsh abrasives.
- Car. You can get rid of corrosion by electrolysis, or use specialized compounds, for example, paint or primer.
How to unscrew a rusty bolt?
To unscrew a rusty bolt, it must be treated with a special compound. The most commonly used WD-40.
Another option is to heat the bolt with a torch or soldering iron.... Then you need to gently knock on it. You can try to remove rust with acids: acetic or orthophosphoric. Read more here.
How to process the microwave?
To paint the microwave from rust, you first need to clean it. For this, acids or converters are used.
Fire-retardant metal paint is applied over the treated area... It can only be used for the device body.
If the inside of the microwave is rusted, cover the damaged areas with an acrylic primer. Those compositions are suitable that are used for painting a car. In this case, you need to choose a paint that is resistant to high temperatures. Will tell you more this article.
Prevention methods rust:
- To prevent rust from appearing on the metal, it must be in a dry place. The tools can be wrapped in paper.
- If the part will lie for a long time without action, it must be treated with a protective compound, for example, a converter.
- The best protection of metal from rust is painting it.
- Primer enamel well prevents the appearance of corrosion.
Removal tips rust:
- If acids are used for processing, or compounds based on them, the product must be washed with a soda solution, and then with clean water.
- When using professional anti-corrosion compounds, you must read the instructions. It will differ depending on the selected product.
- Mechanical cleaning requires careful control of the pressing force.
- Converters can be used both to get rid of existing corrosion and to prevent it.
- Regardless of the chosen method of combating corrosion, safety measures must be observed. Hands are protected with gloves, eyes with special glasses, and respiratory organs - with a respirator.
There are many ways to remove rust from metal and non-metal surfaces. Regardless of which method was chosen, the main thing is to adhere to the time interval and strictly follow the instructions.