Iodine is used to treat skin wounds, so there is a glass bottle with it in every home.
Everyone knows the rich dark brown color of the drug. If it gets on various surfaces, it will cause stubborn stains that are difficult to remove.
The article will discuss how to completely remove iodine and not damage the product with the help of improvised means and special household chemicals.
- Priority actions
- How can you remove the stain with improvised means at home?
- How to quickly remove with household chemicals?
- Features of removal from different surfaces
- What should you not do?
- Helpful information
If iodine gets on an area where it should not be, you need to take emergency measures. They are aimed at eliminating the main part of the drug, due to which the stain will be less noticeable and easier to wipe off with improvised means.
First aid rules:
- Blot iodine with a dry paper towel. It will absorb excess liquid, prevent it from absorbing into the surface.
- Sprinkle with starch. Reacted with iodine, it neutralizes it. Don't worry about the brown stain turning into blue.
This is a natural process. When all the starch is colored, it is swept away with a brush. You can use raw potatoes instead of starch. Cut it into 2 halves and wipe the stain. Then wash the area with soapy water.
- Iodine can be quickly neutralized with an ascorbic acid solution. If such a remedy is in the home medicine cabinet, then the ampoule must be opened and poured onto the stain. After 15 minutes, the product is washed off with clean water.
The listed methods will help to cope with the problem only if the pollution is fresh.
How can you remove the stain with improvised means at home?
There are several universal recipes to help remove iodine stains from any surface. They can be used to treat stubborn dirt. The ingredients in recipes are easy to use and can be found in every home.
- Apply a small amount of solvent to a cotton pad.
- Wipe the stain with it.If you cannot cope with it the first time, the sponge can be left on the dirt in the form of a compress for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off residues of the product with clean water.
To combat iodine stains, you need baking soda and vinegar. Mode of application:
- sprinkle the stain abundantly with soda, there is no need to wet it with water first;
- using a spray bottle to spray the contamination with acetic acid;
- leave to act for half an hour, if the stain is absorbed into the fabric, then the time is increased to 2-3 hours;
- wash off the composition with clean water.
If the material is delicate, then it is better to use a nail polish remover. In it, the concentration of the solvent is lower.
You can remove old stains with denatured alcohol. They use it in the following way:
- Moisten a clean rag or cotton pad in alcohol.
- Treat the dirt by wiping it from the edge to the center.
- Repeat the treatment until the stain completely disappears.
- As the sponge gets dirty, it needs to be changed.
You do not need to wash off the alcohol with water. It will evaporate on its own, making the stain even less visible.
How to quickly remove with household chemicals?
If the available tools did not help to cope with traces of iodine, then you can use household chemicals. In relation to iodine stains active substances such as:
It effectively discolors iodine stains, but it can only be used on light-colored products and materials. If you apply whiteness to a dark surface, it will leave a white spot. The maximum exposure time to whiteness is 30 minutes.
To enhance the effect, it is mixed with baking soda and laundry soap in equal proportions. The resulting composition is dissolved in water and the contaminated area is treated with it. After an hour, the product is cleaned with a soft bristled brush and washed with clean water.
Laundry soap 72%
It is the most harmless and effective product that can be used to clean any surface.
Before applying, the soap is ground into shavings. and diluted with a little warm water until a homogeneous slurry is obtained.
It is applied to the stain, kept for 30-60 minutes, removed with a clean damp cloth.
Fabric stain remover
Despite the fact that such formulations are designed for the treatment of fabrics, they cope well with stains on hard surfaces, on carpets, linoleum and more. To remove the iodine trail, it is better to use a gel-like product. It is applied to the stain, left for 1-3 hours, washed off with clean water.
Features of removal from different surfaces
Iodine stains are firmly absorbed into various porous surfaces: wood, plastic, linoleum, leather and more. For each of them, there are tools to effectively deal with pollution and not harm it.
How to remove from furniture?
You can remove iodine from furniture using hydrogen peroxide. Use it as follows:
- apply the product to a cotton pad;
- they treat the problem area;
- leave the disc on the spot in the form of a compress for 15 minutes;
- wash the surface with soapy water and then water.
You can use a fabric stain remover to clean upholstered furniture. It is used for armchairs, sofas and poufs.
From the table
You can remove iodine from a varnished table using toothpaste. Procedure:
- The paste is applied to the contaminated area, spread over the spot.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Remove the composition with water.
- Repeat the procedure until the table top is clean.
Iodine can be removed from a wooden table with hairspray. It is sprayed over the surface of the product and rubbed with a dishwashing sponge. Two approaches are enough to completely remove contamination.
If the table surface is not glossy, you can use baking soda... Fresh stains are equally successfully treated with alcohol.An ordinary school eraser also copes well with iodine. They rub the surface after washing with soapy water.
Plastic quickly absorbs iodine, which penetrates deeply into the porous material. It will take some effort to remove brown marks. The hardest thing to deal with is old dirt.
Algorithm of actions:
- for a start, the surface is treated with soda gruel, it is applied to the stain and left for 30 minutes;
- wash off the soda with water, then fill the trace with hydrogen peroxide, leave for another half hour;
- the surface is treated with soapy water, washed with clean water.
This three-step cleaning bleaches the plastic back to its original state.
The most effective way to remove iodine from linoleum is bleach.... It is diluted with water, applied to the stain and left for 5-10 minutes. Then they wash the floors in the usual way. You can also use a baking soda and water paste.
Therefore, it is better to use a melamine sponge, which will remove the stain without harming the linoleum. Read more here.
From the skin
The skin should not be treated with aggressive compounds... You can use soap to quickly wipe away brown stains.
If after it it is still noticeable, use a fat cream, for example, a baby cream. They generously lubricate the contaminated area, leave for 5 minutes and remove with a cotton pad.
You can deal with iodine on the skin with the help of alcohol-containing liquids, but instead of vodka, it is better to use perfume or cologne. The main thing is not to keep the product on the skin for too long, so as not to dry it out. Moreover, iodine itself has a similar property. Details - in this article.
Off the carpet
To remove iodine from the carpet, it is better to use household chemicals. Washing powder copes well with this task., soap solution and stain removers. The composition is applied to the product for 30-60 minutes, after which it is washed off with clean water. Small carpet can be washed by hand.
If the stain is fresh, sprinkle it with starch. When it stops changing its color, the pollution is poured with lemon juice. After 30 minutes, wipe the coating with a clean, damp cloth and allow it to dry. Will tell in more detail this article.
What should you not do?
Do not use hot water to remove iodine... It will lead to the sealing of the substance in the porous surface. As a result, it will be impossible to remove the stain.
Do not use metal brushes to remove stains. They will only scratch the surface, and traces of iodine will remain in the same place.
Tips for removing antiseptic from various surfaces:
- If you are not sure how the material will react to cleaning, you need to test the composition in an inconspicuous area. With a satisfactory reaction, proceed to the main stain removal procedure.
- Iodine is destroyed by ultraviolet radiation. Therefore, the soiled item can be taken out in the sun and left for several days.
- If iodine gets on the fabric, you can use the classic method, sprinkling the stain with salt, but this method is effective only for fresh dirt.
You can get rid of iodine stains with the help of improvised means and household chemicals. When choosing a suitable composition, you need to take into account the characteristics of the surface with which you have to work.