Sweaters and pullovers are in every person's wardrobe. Caring for such items includes washing and drying.
If you deviate from the rules, the sweater can deform: sit down or stretch. Instructions and recommendations will help to cope with the situation.
How to properly wash a sweater (made of acrylic, cashmere, etc.) in the washing machine and by hand, we will tell in the article.
- Can I wash it and how often?
- Washing in a washing machine
- How to do it manually?
- Features for different materials
- Nuances depending on the color of the product
- Is it possible to restore a shrunken item?
- Is it realistic to get a stretched pullover back in shape?
- Competent drying
- Dry cleaning
- 11 tips to avoid mistakes
Can I wash it and how often?
The manufacturer indicates the possibility of washing by hand or in a machine on the tag to the thing that is sewn on the inside.
The method of further cleaning is determined depending on the resistance of the product to wet processing. Knitted items are demanding in terms of care and operating conditions.
Too frequent, unnecessary washing of knitted items can lead to pilling and reduce the life of the product.
Careful wearing of things, airing them, and proper storage will help prolong the operation.... You should not experiment with washing if there is a ban on such processing on the product label.
Washing in a washing machine
If the sweater manufacturer allows washing in the machine, then follow the instructions. Important points are the choice of mode, temperature indicators and the detergent used.
- You need to make sure that there are no brooches or other removable decorations on the clothes, and the sweater itself does not need to be repaired.
- Turn the product to the wrong side.
- Place the sweater in a laundry bag. If it is absent - in a pillowcase, which should be buttoned or tied.
- Pour a dose of gel detergent into the container. It is preferable to washing powder.
- Put the sweater in the drum.
- Select the mode "delicate" or "manual". For woolen clothes, you can use "wool".
- Set the temperature to + 30 ° C, if another is not permitted by the manufacturer.
- Set the spin to a minimum (if the material is dense and not loose) or turn it off completely (preferably for hand-knitted products).
- Start a wash cycle.
- After finishing the processing, the thing must be immediately removed from the drum, squeezed out and dried according to all the rules.
How to do it manually?
Hand-treating a sweater is a gentle washing option that allows you to control the process at all stages.
Instructions for such washing include the following steps:
- Inspect the product. If it has defects (for example, loose seams), then they must be eliminated before washing.
- Water with a temperature of + 30 ° C is poured into a large container (basin or bathroom).
- Dilute the detergent in water until completely dissolved, following the instructions on the package.
- Dip the sweater into the water.
- Leave for no longer than 10 minutes.
- Slightly crease the thing, paying attention to the collar and cuffs.
- The water is drained, and the pullover itself is slightly wrung out.
- Rinse the item in clean water, changing it several times.
For the last rinse, you can add fabric softener to the water to increase the softness.
Features for different materials
The complexity of washing knitted clothes is associated with the need for delicate processing. In this case, all important factors must be taken into account:
- type of material;
- color and its durability;
- hand / machine knitting;
- quality of tailoring, etc.
Most sweaters, especially wool and angora knitted sweaters, should not be soaked for long periods. Such material is sensitive to high and low temperatures.
High temperature causes the item to shrink... And it can seriously decrease in size.
Particular care should be taken with things that are knitted by hand. The texture of such a sweater is looser than machine knitted.
Careless care can lead to serious deformation, change in size and even the acquisition of such a bad appearance that the thing cannot be worn. Do not rub woolen fabric during washing - it will become rough and tough.
Read about proper washing of woolen sweaters here.
Acrylic is warm, although it has a synthetic composition. Soft and cozy, these sweaters survive the wash more easily when compared to woolen items. Acrylic also tolerates contact with water more easily, practically does not wrinkle and does not lose its shape.
If the item is worn, it is possible to pre-soak it in a solution of liquid detergent. (even liquid soap will do). After a quarter of an hour, the item is rinsed and washed in a machine or by hand.
The exception is chunky knit and hand-made sweaters. The same rules apply to them as to woolen products.
Sweaters knitted from cotton threads are hypoallergenic. They do not irritate the skin and are able to retain heat.
The peculiarity of such clothes - during wear and after several washes, pellets may appear on them.
The processing temperature is determined by the label. In principle, such yarn can even withstand temperatures above + 30 ° C. But for each thing, this parameter is determined separately.
It is affected by:
- color fastness;
- texture of the weave of threads;
- looseness of knitting, etc.
Even for white cotton pullovers, you should not use chlorine detergent.
A soft and very comfortable cashmere sweater - warm and practical. You can wash such a thing, but not too often, preferably by hand, since washing in a machine and spinning even at low speeds can lead to stretching of the product and the formation of pellets.
How to wash a cashmere sweater video tips:
Nuances depending on the color of the product
Only items of the same color, composition and texture can be taken in one load of a washing machine or hand wash... Even made from fade-free yarn, white and black items cannot be washed together.
For light-colored pullovers, it is important to give preference to chlorine-free gels and powders. If you don't have a special product for white and black on hand, you can use a universal preparation for colored clothes.
When choosing a new tool, you must first study the instructions for itto make sure sweaters are washable.
Is it possible to restore a shrunken item?
Natural yarns tend to shrink when exposed to hot water or contrasting temperatures.
With this in mind, sweaters are washed and rinsed in water at approximately the same temperature.
If the pullover has sat down, you can try to wet and stretch it.... But success is hard to guarantee.
More details with the question can be found in this article.
Is it realistic to get a stretched pullover back in shape?
Increasing your favorite sweater in size after washing is an unpleasant event. Not every item can be restored. Features are associated with the composition of the fabric, type of knitting, model
In this case, you need to act carefully, avoiding common mistakes. - twisting the product and hanging it to dry on a rope.
More details with the question can be found here.
A sweater that has just been washed is wet and heavy. If you hang it on a trempel or throw it over a rope, deformation cannot be avoided.
After the item is washed and rinsed, it is wrung out very carefully through a terry towel.... Excessive pressure or twisting should not be allowed at this stage.
After that, the item is freely laid out on a horizontal surface on a soft, highly absorbent fabric. For example, on a bath towel.
Don't try to speed up the drying process:
- using open fire;
- hanging on hangers;
- hanging on the battery, etc.
Dry-cleaner of knitted clothes offers its clients the use of modern biotechnology and professional equipment from leading manufacturers.
It is necessary to turn to the services of professionals in cases when:
- the sweater cannot be washed - there is information about this on the tag;
- the thing has many decorative elements;
- material fades;
- there is a danger of spoiling an expensive item due to the lack of experience in complex washing and difficult drying.
Also, dry cleaning will help in cases where there is no time to wash yourself.
The price will depend on several factors:
- the material of the thing;
- provision of additional services (removal of stains, etc.);
- sweater model;
- the presence of inserts from other materials, accessories, etc.
You can find a suitable dry cleaner on the Internet. Most of them work with electronic applications and take orders by phone.
Items from the client are picked up by a courier, so you don't have to waste your time to first take the item and then pick it up. The average cost of dry cleaning services is from 600 rubles.
11 tips to avoid mistakes
The following tips will help you wash your pullover:
- The water temperature when washing and rinsing a sweater should not differ significantly. Ideally, it should be the same.
- When washing by hand, it is not advisable to use brushes in the work.As a last resort, it should have soft bristles.
- Liquid detergents for knitted garments are preferred over powdered detergents.
- In order for the garment to retain its softness after washing, it is advisable to add vinegar or dilute fabric softener to it during the last water change during rinsing.
- Any pullover or sweater should be washed inside out. This increases the likelihood of maintaining the appearance of the product.
- Products made from thick textured or fluffy threads should not be washed with powder detergents. It is better to choose a gel that dissolves well and does not clog into fibers.
- Not only hot water, but also cold water is not the best choice for washing. The optimum temperature is + 30 ° C, unless another parameter is specified by the manufacturer itself.
- It is strictly forbidden to twist such things. If this rule is not followed, the sweater may lose its shape.
- If it is necessary to remove stains from the thing, it is recommended to use non-aggressive agents, having previously checked their effect on an inconspicuous area.
- Detergent can be applied to the product only after preliminary dilution in water. It is especially important to observe this rule when washing woolen, including fluffy items.
- Only clean and completely dried items can be put aside for long-term storage.
Compliance with all the rules for handling a pullover will help keep the thing clean.... At the same time, the jersey will not lose its appearance and will avoid deformation.
In cases where the situation seems hopeless, it is recommended to seek professional dry cleaning services.