Sneakers are practical and comfortable shoes for everyday wear. The more actively it is used, the more often it needs to be washed.
Some vapors can be processed automatically, while others can only be cleaned manually. In order not to spoil the sneakers and give them freshness, you need to know the basic rules for caring for them.
Is it possible and how to properly wash sneakers in an automatic washing machine (in what mode, at what temperature, with or without spinning) and manually, how to quickly dry the shoes after washing without spoiling them? You will find answers to questions in the article.
- Is it washable?
- In an automatic washing machine: in what mode, at what temperature, with or without spinning, in a bag or without?
- How to do it manually?
- Features for products of different materials and colors
- How to remove difficult stains?
- How can you whiten the sole?
- How to dry quickly without spoiling them?
- How to remove yellowness?
- Will dry cleaning help?
- Important recommendations
Is it washable?
Is it possible to wash sneakers in a typewriter, you can understand in 2 ways:
- Review the information provided by the manufacturer... It is shown on the product label.
It can be sewn onto the tongue or the back of the shoe. Sometimes the rules of care can be found on a special insert that is in the box or on the package itself.
If it shows an icon with a crossed out washing machine, then the sneakers cannot be automatically processed.
- Self-evaluate the material from which the shoes are sewn... Leather and suede shoes are not loaded into the machine. They are cleaned by hand.
You will have to refuse machine washing in the following cases:
- The shoe is seriously damaged. Her sole is peeling off or the seams are open.
- All parts of the sneaker are fixed with glue. With prolonged contact with water, the boots will simply fall apart.
- The shoes have decorative metal fittings.
- Non-removable electrical elements are built into the sneakers.
If the steam does not fall under these exceptions, you can clean it automatically.
In an automatic washing machine: in what mode, at what temperature, with or without spinning, in a bag or without?
If machine washing of sneakers is not contraindicated, then before loading them into the drum, it is necessary to carry out the following preparatory measures:
- wash the sole, remove all visible dirt, small stones, sand from it;
- unlace your shoes;
- remove the insoles;
- remove the hardware, if possible.
When the preparation is complete, start washing. Algorithm of actions:
- Place the shoes in the drum.
- Pour the detergent into the washing machine compartment. Preference should be given to liquid concentrates.
They are good at removing stains in cool water and are easily washed out of the fibers of the fabric.
- Adjust the washing parameters. You can use special programs such as “sports shoes”, “delicate” or “gentle wash”.
It is recommended to turn off the spin or reduce the speed to 500.
- Adjust temperature mode. You should not exceed the 40 degree mark.
- Start a wash cycle.
- After its completion, the shoes are removed from the washing machine and sent to dry.
Additional rinsing is necessary if powder detergent is used as a detergent.
How to do it manually?
Hand washing sneakers allows you to gently remove dirt and not damage them.
Algorithm of actions:
- Prepare a pair: remove the insoles and laces, clean the sole, rinse with dust.
- Pour warm water into a basin, add detergent, until it is completely dissolved.
- Soak your sneakers if they are severely soiled. Do not leave them in water for more than an hour.
- Clean shoes with a soft brush. Particular attention should be paid to the toes and soles.
- Rinse steam inside and out.
- Wait for the water to drain, send the shoes to dry.
Features for products of different materials and colors
Depending on the material of the sneakers, on their color and the brand under which they are produced, the rules for caring for them will differ. Information is presented in the table:
|Material, color||How to wash||How to wash|
|Leather||Hand cleaning with a damp soft cloth followed by cream. Do not use detergents.||Washing in an automatic machine is prohibited.|
|Suede leather||Only dry cleaning with a special brush is permissible. It can be purchased at a shoe store. After cleaning, the shoes are treated with a special impregnation.||Do not machine wash. Do not allow contact with water.|
|Tissue||Machine and hand wash with the use of detergents.||Do not wash in hot water. The threshold of 40 degrees should not be exceeded.|
|Black||Washed in a machine or by hand, separately from other shoes.||Hot water and drying in direct sunlight will wash out the color. It is forbidden to use products containing bleaching ingredients.|
|White||Wash in a typewriter, or by hand, but separately from dark items.||Use of bleaches is possible.|
|Converse||Can be washed by hand and machine. Detergents labeled Color are used for colored sneakers, and powders with a bleaching component are used for white shoes.||The washing temperature should not exceed 40 degrees, regardless of the brand of the product.|
|Vans||Canvas fabric can withstand both machine and hand wash.|
How to remove difficult stains?
Sometimes there is a need for additional cleaning of the sneakers, since it is not possible to cope with difficult stains with the help of a conventional detergent composition.
You can remove yellow stains on light sneakers by such means as:
- Toothpaste without colored inclusions... The contaminated area is moistened, a paste is rubbed into it, left for half an hour, rubbed with a brush and washed off with running water.
- Baking soda... It is mixed with water to form a thick gruel, which is applied to the stain for 20 minutes. It remains to lightly rub the shoes with a brush and rinse with clean water.
- Hydrogen peroxide... It has a whitening effect, so it is applied to the stain in its pure form. After half an hour, yellow stains are rubbed with a brush and rinsed with clean water.
To prevent yellow stains from appearing on sneakers, during each wash you need to add bleach to the water, for example, Vanish Crystal White (200 rubles for a 0.45 liter gel).
Help to cope with green stains such means as:
- Ammonia... It does not harm the product, but it has a whitening effect. It is applied to a cotton pad and treated with a stain. The procedure must be repeated until the contamination disappears completely.
- Vinegar. If the stain has time to dry, the cloth should be moistened with vinegar and left for 15 minutes. The product is then cleaned with soap and a soft brush.
- Salt. A highly concentrated solution is prepared from it. A glass of water will require 4 tbsp. l. soda. The resulting composition is moistened with stains, left for 30 minutes, after which the treated areas are cleaned with a brush.
Paint stains can be removed with solvents. They are used according to a single scheme: applied to cotton wool, wipe the stain, leave for 15 minutes. Finish cleaning with a classic wash.
The paint is dissolved by such means as:
- White Spirit;
These substances have a pungent odor, so you need to work with them in well-ventilated areas. Hands are protected with gloves, and a mask is put on the face.
If white sneakers are not afraid of contact with aggressive compounds, then black and colored products must be handled carefully... The selected agent is first tested on an inconspicuous area. The exposure time is minimized.
How can you whiten the sole?
Most often, the sole of a shoe is white. During operation, it turns yellow or gray, difficult to remove stains appear on it. It is difficult to cope with them if the sole is grooved.
However, you can whiten it if you use the following products:
- Dentifrice... It is applied to a moistened brush used to rub the sole. After 20 minutes, the paste along with the dirt is washed off with plain water.
- Laundry soap... The acids contained in it perfectly penetrate the structure of the sole and push the dirt out. It is lathered, rubbed with an old toothbrush, left for 20 minutes, and then washed off with water.
- Hydrogen peroxide or citric acid (1 sachet per glass of water)... These products can help remove yellow spots and gray deposits. It is recommended to pour them into a suitable container and lower the shoe sole into it for 20 minutes. The cleaning solution should not get on the fabric or on the seams.
Use it as follows:
- with scissors cut off a piece of a suitable size from the common layer;
- moisten and wring out the sponge;
- they systematically work out the entire sole with its corner, during the cleaning process the sponge will decrease;
- as it gets dirty, rinse it with water, wring it out and continue the procedure.
If the sponge is not at home, then you can resort to using a stationery eraser. However, the effect will not be as noticeable.
How to dry quickly without spoiling them?
To dry your sneakers and not harm them, it is necessary to adhere to the following algorithm of actions:
- After washing, pat your shoes dry with an old terry towel. It will absorb excess moisture.
- Stuff in white paper or cloth. Wrap the product with bandages. As they get wet, they are changed.
- Put shoes upside down.
Do not dry your shoes on a heating radiator... This can lead to yellow spots and peeling of the sole.
Do not expose the steam to direct sunlight. In no case should the sneakers be dried in the microwave.
How to speed up the drying process?
To speed up the process of moisture evaporation, you can resort to the following tips:
- Place the shoes on a windowsill for fresh air and light shading.
- Place the pair at a distance of 20 cm from the battery. Turn it over periodically.
- Use a hair dryer with a cold air blower on.
- Direct the air flow from the fan to the sneakers.
- Use silica gel beads.They are sold in shoe stores. They are put in sneakers for 3 hours, then removed and dried on a battery. The balls absorb moisture, which speeds up the drying process.
Do not expose shoes to hot air. He will lead to her spoiling.
How to remove yellowness?
If the steam turns yellow after washing, you can cope with the problem with improvised means, including:
- hydrogen peroxide;
- soda and salt;
How to remove yellowness that appears on sneakers after washing, will tell this publication.
Will dry cleaning help?
If the sneakers are expensive, or they have complex contaminants that cannot be dealt with on your own, you can use the dry cleaning services.
Before giving away the shoes, it is necessary to clarify whether the masters will cope with their task without harming the couple. You need to pay for services upon completion.
Services that can be provided in a professional dry cleaner:
- Remove dust, dirt and tough stains from sneakers. The cost of the work is 700 rubles.
- Remove scuffs and scratches. The price starts from 600 - 800 rubles.
- Clean and paint shoes. Depending on the type of material, the price varies from 700 to 1200 rubles.
To thoroughly remove all dirt from the sneakers and not spoil them during washing, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- Do not wash more than 2 pairs at a time. In this case, shoes should be in the same color scheme.
- To prevent the sole from knocking too hard on the drum of the washing machine, you can throw an old towel with a pair. It will act as a counterweight.
- The laces and insoles are washed separately. They are easy to handle by hand.
- White fabric shoes can be washed with gentle bleach. It should not contain chlorine and other aggressive components.
You can wash your sneakers by hand or in the washing machine. If you carry out the procedure according to the rules, it will be possible to remove all dirt without harm to the shoes. It is important to consider its color and the material from which it is made.