Stuffed toys stay beautiful as long as they are clean. They need to be washed not only when visible dirt appears. These products need preventive cleaning, as they collect dust and microbes on their surface.
There are rules for caring for soft toys, knowing which you will be able to avoid damage to products during washing.
We will tell you in the article about whether it is possible and how to properly wash soft toys (musical, large ones that cannot be fit in an automatic washing machine) at home, how to clean a fluffy friend who cannot be wetted with water.
- Which ones can be washed?
- How often?
- How is it correct in a washing machine: in what mode, at what temperature?
- Washing by hand at home
- How do I clean a product that cannot be wetted?
- How to wash your music?
- How to handle large?
- The nuances of cleaning toys-antistress
- How to dry?
- Important recommendations
Which ones can be washed?
You need to take care of soft toys regularly. Even if they are just standing on the shelf, a significant amount of dust accumulates in them, which causes the development of allergic reactions.
Information on whether the product can be loaded into the washing machine drum is indicated on the label. Sometimes it is sewn into the toy itself, into one of the seams, and sometimes it is removable.
If the label has not survived, you need to remember that machine washing is categorically contraindicated in the following cases:
- Big size toy. Even if it fits into the drum, after it gets wet, there will be an overweight.
As a result, the washing machine will fail. In this case, hand washing comes to the rescue.
- Toys with embedded microcircuits. They break on contact with water.
- Small and large parts are fixed with glue. These can be eyes, bows, buttons and other decorations. These items can only be washed by hand.
- Handmade toys. Such specimens may simply not withstand intense friction in the washing machine, but gentle hand washing is possible.
- Toys stuffed with organic fillers: buckwheat husks, sawdust, feathers.
If the toy cannot be machine washed and hand washed, then it is processed dry, for example, using a vacuum cleaner.
It is impossible not to remove the toy from the shelf for years. During this time, it will accumulate a huge amount of dust and become a source of distribution of dust mites.It is enough to move the product from its place to understand the full scale of the problem. therefore for a preventive purpose, such things need to be processed once every 3-4 months.
If a thing is in contact with high temperatures, then it is boiled. You can also disinfect the product with an ultraviolet lamp. Most microbes and viruses are killed by direct sunlight. Therefore, with their help, you can qualitatively disinfect the product.
How is it correct in a washing machine: in what mode, at what temperature?
Even if the soft toy is machine washable, it is not immediately loaded into the drum. First, the product needs to be prepared.
This stage includes the following activities:
- It is necessary to inspect the toy for integrity. All buttons, bows and other decorations must be sewn on. If defects were found, they are eliminated.
- Check the product for electronics. It must be removed before washing.
- Shake off dust from the toy. It is best to knock it out on the balcony.
- If there are stubborn stains, they must be removed in advance using a suitable product.
- If the garment is sewn from delicate fabrics or has parts that may come off, it is recommended to use a washing bag.
When the toy is ready, it is placed in the drum and the wash program is set. Most often, the product is processed in a gentle manner. You can also manually configure the device:
- the recommended washing temperature is 40 degrees;
- spinning - up to 500 revolutions;
- washing duration - 1 hour 30 minutes;
- extra rinse function - on.
If the manufacturer specifies a higher temperature threshold, then the degree can be increased.
Such products have good cleaning ability, dissolve quickly in cool water and are easily washed out of the fibers of the fabric. It is not forbidden to use ordinary detergents and liquid concentrates. Although, in this case, additional rinsing is a must.
The fact is that detergents contain:
- whitening ingredients,
- fragrances and other substances.
If they settle on the tissue and the child comes into contact with them regularly, the likelihood of developing allergies increases.
So that after washing the toy is soft, and the pile on it does not roll, it is recommended to use fabric softener.
When all the preparatory activities are completed, you can start the wash cycle. After its completion, the product is removed from the drum and sent to dry.
Washing by hand at home
If the product is not suitable for machine washing, you can clean it manually. The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Collect water in a suitable container. If the toy is large, you can wash it in the bathroom. The water should be warm - about 40 degrees.
- Dissolve the detergent completely in the basin.
- Lather the toy and rub it gently with a brush. Soak the product in the detergent composition. These actions are carried out in the presence of stubborn stains and dirt.
- Rinse the item in clean running water. You need to change it several times to thoroughly wash the powder particles.
- Dry the product in the fresh air.
If there are stains on the toy that are difficult to remove with ordinary washing powder, you can use safe folk remedies, including:
- Ethanol... It perfectly removes grease, food and drink stains. It is enough to moisten a cotton swab with it and gently wipe the contaminated area.
- Soda. It not only removes dirt, but also deodorizes the fabric. It is diluted with water to the consistency of thick sour cream and applied to the stain. An hour later, start washing.
- Vinegar or lemon juice... It is applied to a cotton pad, treated with a stain, and then washed by hand.
How do I clean a product that cannot be wetted?
If the toy does not tolerate contact with water, then you can resort to dry cleaning. Removing dirt with soda:
- vacuum the product to remove excess dust from it;
- place the toy in a bag of a suitable size, pour 100 g of soda into it and tie tightly;
- shake the bag in your hands so that the powder is evenly distributed over its entire area;
- leave the product inside for 2 hours;
- moisten a terry towel, place a toy in it, wrinkle it on all sides;
- Remove soda residues with a brush.
This method removes dust, stains, bacteria and odors. Starch is used in a similar manner.
Another way to dry-clean your product is to freeze it.
Algorithm of actions:
- Vacuum the toy from all sides.
- Place the product in a bag, pour starch into it and tie.
- Shake the bag and put it in the freezer for 1-2 days.
- After the specified time has elapsed, remove the toy from the bag.
- When it gets warm, brush it off.
How to wash your music?
To wash a musical toy it is necessary to remove all microcircuits, speakers and batteries from it... These parts do not tolerate contact with water.
If they are removable, then there will be no problem. After their removal, the product is processed manually or in a washing machine.
When the microcircuits are sewn inside, the toy is dry cleaned using soda. Not all devices can tolerate freezing, so you cannot risk it.
Another option is to carefully open the product and remove the music unit... This is a rather laborious method, since the seams will have to be repaired twice. The first time before washing, and the second time after it.
If you put a ripped toy in a washing machine, then all its filler will be outside.
How to handle large?
Large toys are not only difficult to wash, but also to dry. therefore preference is given to dry cleaning... You can use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust, and a steam generator for disinfection.
If a full wash is needed, but the toy does not fit into the machine, it is soaked in the bathroom. The dirt is removed by hand with a brush.
It must be remembered that it will not be possible to squeeze out such a product thoroughly, so you should take care of the place of its further drying in advance... It is important that it is well ventilated, as the inner filler can become moldy.
For more information on how to wash large soft toys, see this article.
The nuances of cleaning toys-antistress
Inside the antistress toy there are expanded polystyrene granules. They can be of different diameters.
Such a product must be processed manually... This will allow you to control the friction force and not damage subtle matter.
If you load a toy into the drum of a washing machine, then there is a risk of breaking its integrity. Granules spilling out can lead to equipment breakdown.
Provided that automatic processing cannot be avoided, it is necessary to use a laundry bag with a very fine meshso that the balls cannot slip through its holes.
You can learn how to properly wash antistress toys from this publications.
How to dry?
It is best to dry products outdoors... They can be hung on a rope by securing them with clothespins. Do not dry knitted products in an upright position so that they do not deform.
Another option for drying in the cold season is the windowsill. The outside of the toy will be exposed to the sun's rays, and from the inside - warm air from the battery.
To improve the washing efficiency and make it safe, the following recommendations must be observed:
- To destroy dust mites, a thing must be washed at a temperature of 60 degrees.
- Boiling helps to disinfect the product, but not all fabrics can withstand such processing.
- Rinse the toy thoroughly so that there is no detergent left in it.
- If the child suffers from allergies, then you do not need to use any special detergents for washing. Substances are used that are used to wash his bed linen and clothes.
It is necessary to keep the toys clean for hygienic reasons. A dirty thing is not only ugly, but also dangerous..
This product becomes a source of germs and dust mites, so it should be washed regularly using an appropriate cleaning method.