A T-shirt can be found in every person's closet, regardless of gender and age. This wardrobe item is comfortable to wear in everyday life.
In order for the product to serve as long as possible and not lose its attractive appearance, you need to take care of it correctly. This applies to both hand and machine wash.
How to properly wash a T-shirt (black, white, with a print, etc.) in the washing machine and by hand, how to dry after washing, how to prevent it from shrinking, how to remove stains, read the article.
- Washing in a washing machine
- How to hand wash correctly?
- Features for different fabrics and colors
- How to remove stains?
- How to get rid of bad smell?
- How to make the shirt sit down?
- How to stretch the product?
- How to dry?
- How to get the brightness back?
- Important recommendations
Washing in a washing machine
Before machine washing, the following preparatory steps must be taken:
- Sort products by color.
- Turn the thing over to the wrong side.
- Inspect the shirt for integrity. If there are loose seams or protruding threads, the defects must be eliminated.
- Hand wash tough stains. In severe cases, it is recommended to resort to soaking.
- Fasten buttons and zippers, if any.
When the T-shirt is ready start the washing process:
- turn on the machine, pour the detergent composition into the compartment;
- put the shirt on the drum;
- include a suitable regime;
- wait for the cycle to complete, remove the T-shirt, send it to dry.
At what temperature?
A label that is sewn to one of the inner seams will help determine the temperature... If it is absent, then you need to adhere to general recommendations - wash in warm water, not higher than 40 degrees.
The more elastic the fabric, the lower the temperature should be. Thick white cotton or linen garments of durable color can be washed in hot water (up to 60 degrees). It is not recommended to boil them, as this can cause the fabric to shrink.
What mode (program)?
The parameters on the washing machine can be set manually. The settings should be as follows:
- water temperature - 30-40 degrees;
- spinning - up to 500 rpm;
- washing time - about 60 minutes;
- additional rinse - included.
Such washing conditions are "universal". They can be used for almost any T-shirt except for delicate fabrics (spin off for them). You can also clean the garment in the “gentle” or “gentle” wash.
When choosing a detergent for washing a T-shirt, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- The detergent composition must be suitable for use in a washing machine. Information about this is indicated on the packaging.
- The type of fabric the T-shirt is made from. For delicate materials, we recommend using liquid detergents. They do their job well even in cool water.
- T-shirt color. For washing white items, you can use products containing a bleaching agent.
In addition to accurate dosage, liquid substances have another advantage - they rinse well without settling in the fibers of the fabric.
How to hand wash correctly?
Hand wash gently removes dirt from your shirt... Such processing is suitable for products made of delicate fabrics, for items with a print or photo printing.
Hand washing is used when you just need to refresh the thing, or when one piece of clothing is to be cleaned.
- take water, dissolve the detergent composition in it;
- place the T-shirt in the basin;
- soak the item for several hours, if necessary;
- rub hard-to-remove stains by hand or with a soft brush;
- work out the collar, neck, armpits;
- rinse the thing, let the excess water drain;
- shake the shirt and hang it up to dry.
For hand washing, use a special powder. The package must have a corresponding inscription. Such formulations foam well and do not dry out the skin of the hands.
You can learn how to properly wash T-shirts by hand from this articles.
Features for different fabrics and colors
Washing methods will differ depending on the type of fabric and color of the product. All of them are indicated in the table:
|Type of fabric, color||Optimal washing conditions||How impossible?|
|Cotton or linen||Machine washable up to 60 degrees.||Products made from natural fabrics absorb water well, so you cannot overload the washing machine. Otherwise the T-shirts don't stretch well. An additional rinse is required at the end of the cycle.|
|With print||Hand wash in cool water.||A categorical prohibition on machine washing.|
|Woolen||Preference is given to hand washing in cool water, or by machine processing on a special program (wool, delicate wash).||Do not wring out the item, wash in hot water, or hang dry.|
|Mixed composition (natural fabric + synthetics)||Gentle wash at temperatures up to 40 degrees.||Use stain removers and bleaching agents with caution. To begin with, they are tested on a small area of tissue.|
|White||May be exposed to high temperatures and bleach, if this does not contradict the rules of care of the fabric from which the T-shirt is sewn.||Do not wash with colored items. Even if they do not fade, processing them together will cause the white T-shirt to turn gray.|
|Colored||Colored T-shirts are washed with powders labeled Color, or liquid concentrates. These products contain color-protective substances that prevent the leaching of the pigment.||Do not use boiling water for washing. The hotter the water, the more the color is washed out.|
|Black||Gentle wash at low temperatures. Various additives such as fabric softener or table vinegar are used to prevent color washout.||It is forbidden to heat the item, use powders containing bleaching ingredients for its care. Do not rub the black T-shirt with a brush, remove dirt with a sponge or cotton pad.|
How to remove stains?
If complex stains appear on the T-shirt, then it will not be possible to cope with them with ordinary washing powder.
You can use hydrogen peroxide to remove wine stains. Apply it as follows:
- apply peroxide to the stain;
- leave to soak for half an hour;
- wash the thing as usual.
This method is suitable for removing stains from white fabrics. On colored materials, peroxide can lead to pigment fading.
therefore it is recommended to use glycerin: it is applied to cotton wool and with its help the product is cleaned... Then the T-shirt is washed as usual.
You can remove ink from your T-shirt using any liquid that contains alcohol. It can be vodka or cologne.
Mode of application:
- Apply alcohol-based liquid to a cotton pad.
- Wipe the ink with it, leave to act for 30 minutes.
- Walk over the stain again with a cotton pad.
- Wash your T-shirt as usual.
You can qualitatively remove the stain from the paint from the fabric and not damage it with the help of turpentine. This substance is suitable for working with synthetic and natural fibers, with colored and black products.
Apply it as follows:
- Apply turpentine to a cotton pad.
- Treat the stain from the edges, moving towards its center.
- Repeat the procedure until the fabric is completely clean.
- The shirt is washed and dried.
Turpentine has a pungent odor, so working with it, you need to protect the respiratory system.
It is difficult to remove green stains from the fabric. However, there is one versatile recipe that can be used to cleanse both white and colored items.
To prepare it, you will need the following components:
- vinegar 9% - ½ tsp;
- sunflower oil - ½ tsp;
- starch to thicken the composition.
The resulting mixture is applied to the contaminated area, left to act for 3 hours. After the specified time, it is necessary to treat the stain with dishwashing liquid, rinse with clean water and wash as usual.
You can remove sweat stains from a T-shirt using Aspirin. Use it as follows:
- 2 tablets of the drug are ground into powder.
- Add 50 ml of water.
- The resulting solution is impregnated with sweat stains, left for 3 hours to act.
- They wash the T-shirt as usual.
This is a versatile recipe that is suitable for washing white and colored items. If you cannot completely get rid of the traces of sweat, then you can strengthen the recipe with ammonia. It is added to Aspirin in an amount of 15 ml.
Read more about how to get rid of sweat stains on T-shirts. here.
Use dishwashing liquid and starch to remove greasy stains on your clothes. They are mixed in such proportions that the solution has the consistency of sour cream.
Mode of application:
- apply detergent to the stain;
- leave for 2-4 hours;
- remove the gruel with a paper towel;
- wash the product in the usual way.
How to get rid of bad smell?
Sometimes the T-shirt smells like sweat or musty after washing. Dealing with the problem is not difficult if you know how to act in this case.
If it smells like sweat
An effective recipe for removing the smell of sweat from clothes:
- salt - 1.5 tablespoons;
- warm water - 0.25 ml;
- ammonia - 1 tsp
All problem areas are treated with the resulting solution. Leave the agent to act for 30 minutes.
After the specified time, it is enough to wash the thing in warm water and dry it in the fresh air.... In this way, you can not only remove the smell of sweat from the shirt, but also remove yellow and white stains from it.
A musty smell appears on clothes if they are stored raw. You can get rid of it with the help of available tools, including:
- Soda. To remove an unpleasant odor, dissolve 5 teaspoons of soda in 1 liter of boiling water and soak a T-shirt in it for 30 minutes. Then it is washed in the usual way.
- Salt. You can process the thing in a strong saline solution (3 tablespoons per 1 liter of water). The holding time of the product is 30 minutes. Then it only remains to rinse.
- Vinegar. Dissolve 1 tbsp in 1 liter of water. l. vinegar, soak a T-shirt in it for 10-15 minutes, then wash it as usual.
The freezing air will kill molds and leave your shirt smelling fresh.
How to make the shirt sit down?
There are several ways to return the shirt to its original size if it is stretched. These include:
- washing in hot water, or boiling;
- method of contrasting temperatures - for this, the product is first dipped in boiling water, and then in ice water;
- drying in a washing machine at high speeds;
- ironing at the maximum permissible temperature;
- drying on a horizontal surface - in this case, the thing must be squeezed with the palms in the direction in which it is necessary to achieve shrinkage.
Using these methods, you can reduce the product by 0.5-1 size. The worst thing is to correct the shape of T-shirts made from natural fabrics.
How to stretch the product?
If the shirt shrinks after washing, you can stretch it slightly. Some items return to their original size on their own during wear. Other products require additional processing.
There are several ways to fix the situation:
- Wash the T-shirt by hand and wring it out.
- Hang the product to dry on a rope, attaching several weights to it.
- Soak a thing in a solution of hydrogen peroxide (2 tablespoons per 10 liters of water) for 3 hours.
He will tell you how to stretch a shrunken T-shirt after washing this article.
How to dry?
To make the T-shirt dry faster after washing, you must adhere to the following rules:
- you need to hang the product in a well-ventilated area;
- do not allow direct sunlight to hit the fabric;
- it is necessary to fasten clothes to the rope by the lower part with clothespins;
- do not squeeze or twist the product in order to avoid the formation of creases.
The higher the humidity level in the room, the longer the T-shirt will dry. If possible, it is dried in the fresh air, in the shade.
It is not necessary to turn the thing onto the front side after washing so that dust does not settle on it, and the color does not fade.
How to get the brightness back?
There are several ways to restore color to a product:
- If washing is carried out manually, then add 1 tsp to the basin. table salt for every liter of water. In such a solution, the thing is soaked before or after the main treatment.
- If the product continues to shed heavily, then it can be washed in a weak vinegar solution. 1 liter of water will require 1 tbsp. l. vinegar with a concentration of 9%. In this composition, the thing is enough to withstand 5 minutes. The acid will fix the dye, and the fabric will stop losing color.
- For machine wash, you can use fabric softener.There are tools to bring back the brightness of both black and colored things. For example, Laska 3D effect of restoring black (about 200 rubles) or Burti Color gel (400 rubles). These formulations are sold in retail stores, in the departments of household chemicals.
If the T-shirt is stained after washing, tips from this publications.
So that the T-shirt does not become unusable during the washing process, the following points should be taken into account:
- Consider the manufacturer's advice on caring for the item. They are indicated on the label, which is always inside.
- Sort things by color. White and black items cannot be washed together.
- Take into account the type of fabric from which the linen is sewn.
- We recommend using fabric softener with every wash to soften linen and cotton T-shirts.
Even the highest quality items, with frequent mechanical processing, lose their color saturation and wear out quickly. Therefore, it is necessary to resort to hand and machine wash only as needed.
Washing a T-shirt correctly means preventing changes in its shape and color, as well as getting rid of dirt and unpleasant odors.
This will significantly extend the life of the item, without losing its attractive appearance.